We have been blessed with two special daughters and two sons from Eastern Europe. We welcome you to follow our journey as a family of five, waiting to travel and pick up #6, with the ins and outs of family, education, farm life, and love!

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Orphan Sunday

       Today, many churches acknowledged Orphan Sunday.  A day that children without the love of a Father and Mother are prayed for.  A day that acknowledges the countless children longing for a home.  Waiting children both here in the US and over the entire world. 

Today, I reflected on how four very different children have been brought into our lives and blessed us immensely.  It's hard to convey the heart of an orphan until you know their names and seen their faces.  I've done both.  I know of the countless children we have talked with, interacted with, and held.  There are memories etched in my heart of little ones crying out "Mama" and reachign out for me as I walked past their groupa or their room.  Children laying in cribs, softly rocking themselves because there was no Mama or Papa there to comfort them.


I know of the life our three youngest would have faced after their fifth birthday.  I know one of daughters would have been bed ridden for the rest of her days.  I know all three little ones would have had no formal education.  Our oldest most likely would have ended up in a life of crime.  To think about the what ifs of our children hurts, and gives me great reason to celebrate and advocate for orphans.  Every child deserves the chance for family--to know the love of a family.

Aren't we all orphans in some respect?  Those of us whom are Christ followers know the love of a Heavenly Father and we want others to know that love.  We know what it is like to be loved, cherished, and forgive when we make mistakes.  I once was an orphan-- lost and alone.  But I now know the love of my Heavenly Father as well as the love of my earthly Father and Mother who raised me in the church and showed me love.

Russel Moore states in his book Adopted For Life, "As we become more attuned to the gospel, we'll have more of a burden for orphans".  I carry that burden with me daily.  I want to do more.  I need to do more.  I CAN do more.  It doesn't have to be financial.  I doesn't have to be going across the ocean and adopting.  Praying for and acknowledging orphans is something everyone can do. 

Today is a good reminder for me to continue to talk about orphans.  To continue to advocate for them.  To pray for them daily.  To remember the countless faces, their stories, and their desires.  Today is a good reminder that as a Christ follower we are called to take care of the widows and orphans.  
 "I will not leave you as orphans, I will come to you", John 14:18


No comments: